Calabrian Chili and Honey Sourdough Bread
Learn how to bake this sweet & spicy sourdough bread that tastes like hot honey.
1. Bread Flour
2. Whole Wheat Flour
3. Rye Flour
4. Sourdough Starter
5. Sea Salt
7. Calabrian Chilis
Substitutes for Calabrian Chilis:
Calabrian Chilis are known for their slightly fruity flavor. They are medium spicy.
Jarred Peppadew, Pimento, or jalapeño peppers work as well.
1. Prepare Starter
• Combine sourdough starter, bread flour, and water in a small jar to ferment.
• When it's doubled and bubbly, it's ready.
• An hour before the levain is ready, autolyse the dough.
• Combine the flours and water to a mixing bowl and rest for an hour.
• Autolyse will help kickstart gluten development.
3. Add Levain, Salt, and Mix
• Add the starter and honey. Mix and rest for 30 minutes.
• Add the sea salt and stretch & fold the dough until it's thoroughly combined.
4. Bulk Fermentation
• Bulk Fermentation takes about 3.5 hours at a warm temperature.
• During bulk fermentation, add the peppers and strengthen the dough with additional folds.
At the end of bulk fermentation, the dough should have risen about 50%, feel full of air, and have visible gas bubbles.
• Use a bench scraper to gently shape the dough.
• Place into a floured banneton and stitch the dough for additional strength.
6. Cold Proof
• Proof the dough overnight and up to 48 hours in the refrigerator.
• The cold proof will give the dough more flavor.
7. Score the Dough
• The next day, preheat the oven for an hour with a dutch oven in it at 500ºF.
• When the oven is preheated, score the dough with a bread lame.
• Bake the bread in the dutch oven at 500ºF for 20 minutes.
• Remove the lid, turn down the oven to 450ºF and bake for another 15 minutes.
• When done, the bread will be golden brown.
9. Slice and Enjoy!
• Let the bread cool for at least an hour.
•Slice and enjoy!
• This hot honey sourdough pairs particularly well with whipped ricotta and mascarpone.
Learn how to make this delicious Sourdough recipe and more on SourdoughBrandon.com
All recipes include visual guides with photos of the entire baking process.