Tips to Prevent Gaps in Swirl Breads
Swirl Bread Gaps
• Swirl Breads like Cinnamon Raisin Bread have a propensity to develop gaps in between their swirls.
• How can you prevent these gaps from forming?
Tip #1: Add Egg Wash to Dough
• Add an egg wash to the dough once it is rolled out and before adding the filling.
• The egg wash will work as a binder for the filling.
Tip #2: Add Flour to Filling
• It might be surprising, but adding a tablespoon of flour to the filling will help the sugar from leaking out.
• If the sugar leaks out and puddles, you'll be left with gaps in your bread.
Tips #3: Don't Roll the Dough Too Tightly
• When you roll the dough up into a log, it should be snug but not tight.
• A very tight dough can expand too quickly in the oven when it bakes, resulting in tunnels.
Tip #4: Proof Correctly
• Proof the dough fully until it rises just above your pan, is full of air, and passes the "finger poke test."
• If the dough is under or over proofed, you may get gaps.
Tip #5: Let the Bread Fully Cool
• Let the bread cool fully before slicing.
• While tempting, slicing into a hot bread will release steam and may cause the bread to collapse. It's still baking!
Slice & Enjoy the Perfect Swirls!
Find this Sourdough Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread and other sourdough recipes step-by-step guides on