Top 10 Sourdough Starter Tips for Success
· Tips include how to feed, store, and revive a sourdough starter.
1. Maintain a Schedule
· Maintain a regular schedule to feed your sourdough starter based on how often you bake.
· Full schedule chart on website post!
2. Know How to Store a Starter
· A sourdough starter can be stored many ways.
· You can store in the refrigerator, freezer, or even dehydrate it.
· Click on the tips below to learn how to store each!
3. Keep a Small Starter
· A small sourdough starter will reduce waste & allows for a more manageable starter.
· Leave just scraps the bottoms and feed with 25g water and 25g flour for a small starter.
4. Use Sourdough Discard
· Use sourdough discard to reduce waste in various discard recipes.
· Recipes on website include Sourdough Granola and Sourdough Scones
5. Know How to Revive a Starter
· An unfed or dormant starter will need to be revived.
· Details on how to revive a dead/moldy starter, refrigerated, frozen, or dehydrated starter in post.
6. Measure Ingredients by Weight
· Measuring your ingredients by weight will make your starter feedings more consistent (and better baking overall!)
7. Keep your Starter at the Right Temperature
· Starters perform best in a temperature range of 75-80ºF
· This bread proofer keeps your starter at the perfect temperature and doubles as a slow cooker!
8. Clean your Starter Container
· The jars to clean will have straight sides and a wide mouth.
· Clean with warm water and soap.
· Sourdough Starter container and jar recommendations on the tips page.
9. Know the Signs when your Starter is Ready
· Use your senses to learn when a sourdough starter is ripe and ready.
· Signs include smell, doubled in volume, and texture.
10. Use Rye Flour to Boost your Starter
· Rye flour is full of nutrients and the enzyme Amylase that sourdough starter yeasts love.
· Adding just a bit to your starter will help boost fermentation.
Learn more Sourdough Tips & Recipes
Learn more sourdough baking tips and recipes at SourdoughBrandon.com including visual guides of recipes.